Eggplants in Sicily are the undisputed queens of summer and lends itself to a high number of RECIPES.
If you love fried eggplants and are a passionate about ORIGINAL SICILIAN cuisine. Enjoy these EGGPLANT ROLLS, they are a pleasure.
Sicilian eggplant rolls are not eaten hot, it is a dish that is savored cold or warm.
This dish contains many of the basic ingredients of Sicilian cuisine: eggplants, pine nuts, raisins, a very tasty dish to share with friends. If you are looking for simple, tasty dish ideas for your next potluck party, this recipe is definitely what you need.
Original Sicilian Eggplant Rolls Recipe
- 1 long eggplant of medium size
- 50 g parmigiano reggiano or caciocavallo cheese cut into small pieces 1.8 oz
- 30 g raisins 2 1/2 Tbsps
- 30 g pine nuts 2 1/2 Tbsps
- bread crumbs 1 cup
- chopped parsley or basil
- salt and pepper
- peeled tomatoes 1 cup
- 2 cloves of garlic
- chopped mint option
Peeled tomato sauce
- In a saucepan, brown a whole clove of garlic pounded with oil.
- After it browned remove it and add the peeled tomatoes.
- Add salt, pepper, and perfume it with basil … let cooked for 10-15 minutes.
Bread Crumbs Filling
- In a frying pan put 2 tablespoons of oil, fry the chopped garlic a little, add the breadcrumbs, parsley, salt and pepper, mix everything … let the crumb “toast”, it must cook but not burn.
- Pour it into a bowl and add the raisins (previously rehydrated in half a glass of water), the pine nuts, the pieces of cheese, chopped mint, chopped parsley, or chopped basil.
- Mix everything.
- Peel the eggplant, wash and cut it and slice it vertically, so as to have long slices.
- Once the eggplant is cut, place the slices in a colander, add salt and let them strain for a couple of hours.
- In this way the water, that makes the eggplant taste bitter, exits out of the vegetable.
- Extra virgin olive oil is ideal for frying eggplant, because it reaches the combustion point at high temperature.
- If you want to use another oil, use peanut oil, use good quality oil.
- To obtain an excellent, light and crispy eggplant, it must “float” in the oil.
- After frying and the oil is drained, stuff the eggplant slices with the bread crumb filling and place the rolls in an oven dish, which we have poured some previously prepared `peeled tomato sauce.
- Cover the rolls with the remaining crumb and peeled tomato sauce,
- bake at 180°C (356°F) for 15 minutes.