Today when I opened my computer, on the front page of
Mozilla Firefox was written:
“Eat dessert first today. Your taste buds will thank you”.
So I decided to delight you with this dessert: the Sbriciolata Cake.
There are several types of Sbriciolata. I am showing you today the Sbriciolata with Mascarpone cheese and strawberries.
Sbriciolata is a version of Sbrisolona, a cake of Mantua (city of Lombardy, Italy).
The base and/or the top of the cake are made up of a thin layer of Sable`Biscuit that gives a certain crispness.
Sbriciolata Cake with a thin layer of Sable` Biscuit
- 135 g butter 4.2 oz
- 225 g flour 8.8 oz
- 90 g sugar 3.5 oz
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch of salt
- grated orange peel
- 250 g mascarpone cheese 8.8 oz
- 120 g whipping cream 4.2 oz
- 100 g powdered sugar 3.5 oz
- 150 g strawberries 3.5 oz
- Add softened butter, salt, and orange zest to the flour and mix.
- Once you have this crumbled dough add all the powdered sugar and start to knead.
- Add the egg, previously broken in a bowl and beat until the white and yolk becomes one.
- Knead the dough for a few minutes and when it reaches nice consistency, create a ball.
- Put the ball in in plastic wrap and let it sit in refrigerator for at least 1hr.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (356°F).
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and roll it out on a lightly floured surface to a thickness of 1/4".
- Using a 6-Inch Round Stainless Steel Cutter, mold the dough. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet
- Bake at 180°C (356°F), until lightly golden brown
- Whip the cream with the powdered sugar.
- Incorporate little by little the Mascarpone cheese,
- Add strawberries, washed, and cut into small pieces, mix all.
- Pour the mascarpone cream over one round sable biscuit.
- Sprinkle the crumbled sable`biscuits on the Mascarpone cream.
- Put the Sbriciolata in the freezer to rest until it can hold its own shape, I would say at least 1 hour. After the hour, you can store the Sbriciolata in the refrigerator until you serve it.
- Serve with some sprinkled powdered sugar.
- The crispness is due to the order in which the ingredients are mixed. Butter and flour are mixed together before joining the eggs.
- These doses can be used for 2 Sbriciolata cakes 6 inch diameter each. ENJOY!❤️