Do they sound appealing?
Well, don’t worry they live up to the name! They are puff pastry swirls with mascarpone, ricotta, and chocolate chips.
What can I tell you? They are a delight.
It is a recipe that I took from an Italian site, Giallo Zafferano, but I added my own touch by adding mascarpone which was not in the original recipe.
Aesthetically they are not as beautiful as those of Giallo Zafferano, but in terms of taste, I think the addition made it even better than what it was.
If you want another recipe with the use of puff pastry, I previously made a post about Puff twists with mascarpone, these are different in terms of shape and taste but will still satisfy your sweet tooth.
Swirls with Mascarpone, Ricotta, and Chocolate Chips
- 1 thawed puff pastry sheet
- 100 g drained ricotta ½ cup
- 100 g mascarpone cheese ½ cup
- 40 g granulated sugar 3.2 tbsp
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 40 g chocolate chips 1/4 cup
- icing sugar to decorate
- Preheat the oven at 190°C ( 374°F)
- In a bowl put the drained ricotta, mascarpone, sugar, and corn starch.
- Mix everything with a spoon.
- Unroll the thawed puff pastry and moisten the edge (1 cm) (0.4 inches) by brushing with a little water, which will serve to better seal your swirls.
- Spread the ricotta and mascarpone cream on the surface, leaving 1 cm free from the edges. Add the chocolate chips, keeping a few for decoration.
- Roll up from the shorter side, creating a roll.
- To get the swirls from the puff pastry log, instead of the usual knife, I used cotton thread (you can also use dental floss). In this way, you will get some nice round swirls and you will avoid the leakage of cream.
- Take the thread and put it around the log so when you pull the two opposing threads so they cut the log. Position it in order to make the swirl about 1 ½ cm (0.6 inches) thick.
- Pull the two threads and magically you will get the swirls.
- Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Add some chocolate chips kept aside, where they are missing, and bake for 15/20 minutes.
- Once ready, decorate them with icing sugar.