I think everyone knows how to make at home “Pasta Brisée” (Pie Dough) because it is one of the easiest recipes to prepare, and this recipe does not include the use of eggs.
Today, having nothing prepared for lunch, I immediately thought of preparing a delicious savory pie, so everyone was happy to eat something different than usual.
So, to change things up a bit I decided to not cook pasta but to make a nice savory pie.
A savory pie can also be made with puff pastry, but weirdly enough I couldn’t find it in the freezer.
So instead, I thought about making “Pasta Brisée”, which is a basic dough typical of French cuisine, used a lot for the preparation of desserts, for covering savory pies.
If you are a true cooking enthusiast, you cannot absolutely miss this recipe, which will come in handy on many occasions.
Although the recipe is French, it is widely used in Italy, just think of the Italian Easter savory pie made with “Pasta Brisée”.
Depending on the recipe you intend to prepare, the “Pasta Brisée” can be flavored with the addition of herbs, spices, cocoa or liqueurs.
It can be stored in the refrigerator, wrapped in cling film, for no longer than three days.
Homemade “Pasta Brisée” (Pie Dough) – No Eggs
- 200 g 00 flour 1 ⅔ cups
- 100 g cold butter cut into cubes 7 tbsp
- 50 ml Ice water 1/4 cup
- a pinch of salt
- Put the flour, the cold cubed butter, a pinch of salt in the mixer, and blend everything for a few seconds.
- Add the ice water and blend the dough again for 1 minute until it is compacted.
- Transfer it to a pastry board and work it with your hands to form a loaf.
- Wrap it in plastic wrap and let it rest in the refrigerator for at least 35 minutes before using it.