Pollo alla cacciatora is a tasty and savory dish, common in Italian cuisine, and has origins in Tuscany. Each family prepares it according to its own version handed down from generation to generation.
The chicken legs, or pieces, are browned in a pan with classic vegetables and herbs (onion, carrot, celery, rosemary) shaded with red wine and finally cooked in tomato sauce slowly.
The stewed chicken becomes soft and full of flavor, deliciously wrapped in a succulent sauce which you can then dip some bread in for a little snack (scarpetta)!
In this recipe, I used 6 chicken legs because my children like them more than other parts of the chicken, but you can use a whole chicken and cut it into pieces.
My recipe is the original one, quick and easy, without additional ingredients and is explained step by step.
In some cookbooks and online recipes, you will also find some recipes in which someone likes to add other ingredients such as mushrooms, peppers or potatoes.
There are different preparations, small variations according to the regions: in fact, there is the Ligurian, Neapolitan, and Sicilian Cacciatora style chicken.
- 6 chicken legs
- 400 g peeled tomatoes 14 oz
- 1 golden onion
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 celery heart
- 1 peeled garlic clove
- a glass of red wine
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 1 handful chopped parsley
- In a saucepan, heat the oil, pour the chicken pieces.
- Leave to brown for about 10 minutes, flip them over after 4-5 minutes.
- When the chicken is well colored, add the chopped celery, carrots, and onion and then the peeled garlic clove.
- Then add salt, pepper, and rosemary; mix and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Deglaze with red wine and let the alcoholic part evaporate completely.
- Remove the rosemary and the garlic clove and then add the peeled tomatoes into small pieces.
- Mix everything and cover with the lid, cook over moderate heat for 40 minutes.
- Serve with a sprinkling of parsley
Amount Per Serving Calories 878Total Fat 45gSaturated Fat 11gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 30gCholesterol 491mgSodium 417mgCarbohydrates 11gFiber 3gSugar 5gProtein 95g