Enrich your recipe-book with the recipe for eggplant balls (Polpette di Melanzane).
If you are looking for a unique appetizer but easy to make, eggplant balls are a delicious and nutritious dish that can also represent original finger food.
In Sicily, as you know, eggplants are used in a lot of different dishes.
These eggplant balls are a great idea to prepare even especially if you have vegetarian people coming over for dinner. In a few minutes, you will prepare a tasty second course. You can accompany it with tomato salad.
Eggplant Balls (Polpette di Melanzane)
- 2 medium eggplants
- 1 egg
- 100 g grated Sicilian pecorino 1 cup
- 100 g bread crumbs 2/3 cup
- Chopped fresh mint leaves
- a clove of minced garlic
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Peel and dice the eggplants.
- Blanch them for about 10-15 minutes.
- Place them in a sieve, and with a fork gently press on the pulp to remove excess liquid.
- Let them cool down. Put them in a bowl with the cheese, the breadcrumbs. Add the egg and mint.
- Mix the mixture. Season with salt and pepper. You can adjust the amount of breadcrumbs and cheese according to your needs.
- Make meatballs of the desired size and pass them in the breadcrumbs.
- Leave them to rest in the fridge for half an hour and then fry them in plenty of hot oil until golden brown on all sides.