The most common and best recognized ITALIAN breakfast is a COFFEE and a CROISSANT, or “CAFFE`e CORNETTO“.
My children every summer, when they go to Italy to visit their grandmothers, as soon as they get off the plane, they know that the first stop is at a small bar with cappuccino and croissant.
The croissant can be stuffed with custard, nutella (my children obviously prefer this the most), and fruit marmalade.
Now I had some puff pastry leftover in the freezer and thought I’d make croissants for breakfast.
I made pastry cream, and I also had cocoa almond cream.
I was missing Italy a bit so I figured, why not make a croissant?
Unfortunately, the shape of the croissants didn’t come out as I would have hoped but they’re still really good, I promise 😂 !
Italian Coffee and a Croissant (Caffe` e Cornetto)
- 1 pkg puff pastry thawed in the refrigerator
- 100 g pastry cream (the process to make pastry cream is on another one of my recipes) 7 tbsp
- 100 g cocoa almond cream 7 tbsp
- Open up puff pastry on a well-floured work surface.
- Gently roll each piece, divide in 4 parts with a knife, and from each part cut 2 triangles.
- In one triangle put a teaspoon of pastry cream or cocoa cream.
- Roll it from the base of the triangle until the tip.