Today I want to offer you a cake that most embodies my Sicilian origins. A shortcrust pastry that gently wraps a vanilla and citrus flavored cream pastry, which is covered with a thin layer of almond paste made with the honey flavored drops of a blood orange.
I really like blood oranges and this morning I woke up with the intention of making a cake, but not a cheesecake, something that looked like “Torta della nonna”, or “Cassata”. I was thinking this because in a few days it will be Easter and the festivities begin so why not make a good cake to start it off.
The only drawback is that blood oranges are not found during every season and are already starting to run out .
In fact, when I went shopping, I couldn’t find them, I went to different supermarkets, I lost all hope of preparing my delicious cake. I was about to resign and go back home thinking about what else I could prepare, when I remembered another fruit vendor, that I hadn’t gone too, was near my house and that’s the story on how you can make this amazing cake. Take this as a lesson on never giving up. 😂
Blood Orange Honey Drops on the Cake
- 8-Inch Round Cake Pan
- 200 g almond paste 7 oz
- 360 g flour 12.7 oz
- 200 g butter 7 oz
- 130 g sugar 4.6 oz
- 4 yolks
- grate zest lemon
- 1 pinch of salt
- 5 egg yolks
- 500 ml milk 2 cups
- 125 g sugar 4.4 oz
- 45 g corn starch 3 tbsp
- 1 vanilla bean
- 2 tbsp squeeze blood orange juice
- blood orange peel
- blood orange pulp
- Put the flour in a bowl, add the butter, the sugar, and the grated rind, and the
- With your hands work the ingredients until it looks like fine bread
- Add the egg yolks and quickly mix all ingredients to obtain a homogeneous mixture, forming a smooth paste.
- Then wrap it in plastic film and let it rest for at least 2 hours in the
- Put the milk with the scraped vanilla pod, and blood orange peel in a small
saucepan, and bring it to a boil.
- Remove the pan from the stove and filter the milk.
in a bowl pour the egg yolks, the vanilla caviar, sugar, the juice, and the
orange pulp. Whisk vigorously until completely combined.
- When the mixture is blended, add the cornstarch sieved in, stir well to incorporate it.
- Pour the hot milk into the mixture of egg yolks, sugar, and rice starch.
- Put on the stove and stir constantly with a whisk (the egg begins to coagulate at
52 °C (125.6°F) temperature; the cooking should stop when it reaches
just 67°C (152.6°F).
- Remove the cream from the stove as soon as it starts to thicken.
- Cool it quickly by pouring it into a cold pan and continue to stir with a whisk
bringing it to a temperature below 50°C (122°F), this allows it to maintain the
consistency of the cream intact.
- Remove the pastry from the fridge, work it with a rolling pin to form a 1/2 cm (0.2
inch) thick disk to line the greased and floured baking pan.
- Cut the excess of short crust with a knife.
- Prick the dough with the tines of a fork without piercing it all the way.
- Pour in the cream pastry and level it with the help of a spoon
- Bake it in your preheat oven at 168°C ( 335°F) for 45 minutes.
- In the meantime, flatten the almond paste to the same thickness as the short
pastry, cut a disk of the same diameter as the pan.5 minutes before the end of baking add the almond paste disk over the pastry
cream and complete the baking.
- Remove the cake from the oven letting it cool completely.Sprinkle the top of the cake with powdered sugar and decorate it with drops of honey
flavored blood oranges and blood orange slices.