The Torta Pistocchi is an Italian cake from Florence created by Chef Pistocchi.
It was born in 1990, in a Florentine restaurant, where Claudio Pistocchi worked as an Executive Chef.
On the website, Tortapistocchi.it, the cake is described as: “A large soft and creamy chocolate, handcrafted, without the addition of sugar and without using eggs, butter or flour … only extra dark chocolate, bitter cocoa powder and a little cream of milk, no preservatives, no additives … “
The recipe for the Pistocchi cake is very simple, but at the same time innovative; its ingredients are simply dark chocolate, bitter cocoa, and a little cream.
The procedure is a secret and its creator guards it together with his trusted team. The Pistocchi cake has collected several awards and recognitions such as the Italian Gold Medal during the 2013 International Chocolate Awards, Two Stars at the Great Taste competition in 2015 in London, and One Star at the Great Taste in 2016; moreover, in 2017 during the Merano Wine Festival, the Torta won The WineHunter Gold award.
I wanted to try making this creamy cake not knowing the exact ingredients and doses.
I only know that there is no sugar, no eggs, no flour.
Instead of using only dark chocolate, I mixed milk chocolate with 70% Modica dark chocolate that I had at home.
I invented my recipe based on my little knowledge about chocolate pastry.
And this is my result. It is a very good creamy and chocolaty dessert, which my family devoured in 5 minutes.
- 200g milk chocolate (7 oz)
- 150g 70% dark chocolate (5.3 oz)
- 20 g unsweetened cocoa powder (1.5 tbsp)
- 200ml whipping cream (1 cup)
- Cut the 2 types of chocolate into small pieces and pour them into a container suitable for a bain-marie.
- Place it on a pan with water and put it on the stove over medium heat.
- Melt the chocolate and add the sifted cocoa.
- Remove from the heat and stir for a few minutes.
- When it reaches the temperature of 50°C (122°F), start tempering the chocolate, it means pouring the chocolate on a metal or marble surface and with a steel spatula bringing the temperature back to about 32°C (89.6°F).
- If you do not have this surface, work the chocolate very quickly with a spatula inside a steel bowl so that the temperatures drop to 32°C (89.6°F).
- In the meantime, heat (do not boil) the whipping cream.
- Turn off the heat and pour it into the chocolate mixture; mix well and pour the compost into a baking sheet (9 inches)lined with parchment paper and make sure the paper is as tall as the border.
- Refrigerate for at least 24 hours.
- Remove it from the fridge and from the pan by pulling at the parchment paper.
- Put it on a serving dish and sprinkle it with bitter cocoa.
Amount Per Serving Calories 352Total Fat 25gSaturated Fat 15gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 35mgSodium 30mgCarbohydrates 26gFiber 3gSugar 18gProtein 5g