My mother-in-law’s eggplants are grilled or oven-roasted. They are an easy, fast, and super tasty vegetable side dish, as well as light!
The eggplants are grilled and subsequently cut into small pieces and seasoned with a very fragrant marinade based on oil, garlic, vinegar, parsley, mint, and pepper, which makes them tasty and juicy!
As you will understand, this recipe is from my mother-in-law, who prepares these grilled eggplants throughout the whole summer! It is one of the many tasty recipes that my mother-in-law exhibits in her summer gastronomic tables.
These grilled eggplants have a very simple and versatile preparation! You can add aromas that you like; thyme or any other herb and adjust the amount of vinegar and garlic according to your taste! Remember that the longer you let your grilled eggplants marinate in the fridge, the better and tastier they become!
They are perfect as an accompaniment to meat, cured meats, and dairy products, marinated eggplants can (must!) be prepared a little in advance to make sure that the flavors of the marinade mix well with each other.
Low in calories, rich in potassium and calcium, the eggplants are good hot or cold. They go well with tomatoes, capers, olives, garlic, and zucchini. Grilled eggplants are as good as fried eggplants.
- 2 eggplants
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Oil
- ¼ cup of white vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Cut the eggplant into 1/4 inch thick slices and generously salt each slice.
- Let them rest for about 20 minutes so that the salt can draw out the moisture and bitterness.
- Preheat the barbecue to medium heat
- In a bowl combine the olive oil, garlic, parsley, mint, salt, and pepper. dip the eggplant in this mixture and grill for approximately 6-8 minutes per side until golden.
- Remove from the grill, cut them into small pieces, and return back to oil, herb and garlic mixture in the bowl. mix very well and transfer them to a serving platter.
- Spoon any of the excess herbs & garlic over top and let the grilled eggplants flavor in the refrigerator or at room temperature for at least 20 minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving Calories 355Total Fat 29gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 25gCholesterol 0mgSodium 1314mgCarbohydrates 26gFiber 7gSugar 9gProtein 3g