The fried eggplant bruschetta is a summer delight, an alternative to the classic bruschetta.
I had an aubergine in the fridge that I bought several days ago. As you know eggplants, if they are not used immediately, become full of seeds and bitter.
Eggplants are, in my humble opinion, the best summer vegetable! Its low in calories its pulp tends to absorb dressings very well. Keep the skin, if the aubergine is organic; it’s rich in antioxidants and also interesting to cook.
Eggplants can be cooked in tons of different ways, from “pasta alla norma“, to rolls, from grilled eggplants to the classic “Parmigiana“, which according to which region of Italy you are in, the recipe changes.
Today I offer you this fried eggplant bruschetta (you can also grill it, the recipe would be even lighter) with fresh chopped cherry tomatoes, capers, garlic, basil, mint, and finally flavored with some drops of glazed balsamic vinegar to wash your palate from eggplant oil (I advise you to dry the frying oil from the eggplant disks in order to taste the seasoning well).
If, on the other hand, you decide to grill your eggplant, you must season the chopped vegetable with a drizzle of organic olive oil.
- 1 medium-size eggplant
- 250g chopped cherry tomatoes (8.8 0z)
- 1 tbsp chopped capers
- 1 chopped garlic clove
- 2 chopped basil leaves
- 2 chopped mint leaves
- Salt and pepper
- 3 drops of glazed balsamic vinegar on the dressing
- Peel the eggplant (if it’s not organic) then wash, cut it, and slice it into 1/2″ disks.
- Once the eggplant is cut, place the slices in a colander, add salt and let them strain for a couple of hours.
- In this way, the water, which makes the eggplant taste bitter, exits out of the vegetable.
- Extra virgin olive oil is ideal for frying eggplant because it
reaches the combustion point at high temperatures.
- If you want to use another oil, use peanut oil.
- To obtain an excellent, light and crispy eggplant, it must
“float” on the oil.
- Dry the excess oil from the aubergine disc.
- Arrange the eggplant discs in a serving dish.
- Chop tomatoes, capers, basil, mint, and garlic.
- Put the chopped vegetables in a bowl and add salt and pepper, mix very well.
- Place a spoonful of chopped vegetables on each eggplant disc.
- Season with a few drops of glazed balsamic vinegar.
Amount Per Serving Calories 50Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 1mgSodium 100mgCarbohydrates 8gFiber 2gSugar 4gProtein 1g