This delicious Almond cake with Modica chocolate is produced only in a small baroque town in Sicily.
Modica is a small town in Sicily, a beautiful baroque town that in 2002 was included, along with the Val di Noto, in the list of World Heritage Sites of Unesco for its historic center, rich in Baroque architecture.
Unlike normal chocolate, the Modica chocolate has a very specific character, it appears as grainy and friable, with grooves on the surface, with a dark black color, and depending on the type of chocolate, an opaque surface can be presented, just like what I used in this recipe, and with brown reflections. And thanks to its cold preparation it makes it unique; the granules of the sugar, in fact, are visible in the cocoa and give the chocolate an extra tasty sensation.
Modica chocolate has been recognized as a Traditional Agri-food Product and since 2003 the Modica Chocolate Protection Consortium has been born
The “cold” preparation of Modica chocolate is still processed like how the ancient Mayans worked it, making sure that all the qualities of cocoa, its nutritional values and its components such as flavonoids and powerful antioxidants, are highly concentrated and are kept intact.
- 3 separated eggs
- 150 g sugar 2/3 cup
- 150 g almond flour 1 ½ cups
- 100 g Modica chocolate (or dark chocolate) (3.5 oz)
- powdered sugar enough
- 30 g peeled almonds ⅓ cup
- Beat the egg yolks with the sugar until it becomes a light yellow cream.
- Add the almond flour to the egg yolks and mix very well.
- Melt the chocolate in a Marie bath and add it to the mixture of eggs and almond flour, mixing everything together.
- Add the whipped egg whites slowly without having them disassembled.
- Place the compost in a greased and floured baking pan, sink the peeled almonds inside the compost and bake for 25-30 minutes at 400F.
- Allow to cool, remove the cake, and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Amount Per Serving Calories 497Total Fat 25gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 19gCholesterol 97mgSodium 87mgCarbohydrates 60gFiber 5gSugar 52gProtein 12g